Department of Energy & Climate Change
Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC) UK Government.
The UK Government is requiring energy companies to install 53 million gas and electricity meters at 30 million domestic and smaller non-domestic properties by 2020. To undertake the quest, the UK Government launched the Smart Metering Implementation Programme (SMIP) and selected the following companies to create the service delivery and operationa solution;
- Data & Communications Company (DCC): responsible for service procurement, contract management and some cross-industry processes.
- Data Service Provider (DSP): provides data services to DCC.
- Communications Service Providers (CSP): provides connectivity services and Communication Hubs to Energy Suppliers.
Key elements for the customer:
01. Low risk solution collapse icon
A proven solution Network with low risk of delivery failure.
02. Capable lead provider collapse icon
Financially stable service organisation with recognised success delivery record.
03. Value added capabilities collapse icon
Ability to address future industry requirements.
04. Positive economic impact collapse icon
Deliver business case and wider UK benefits.
05. Consumer proven product acceptance collapse icon
Non-obtrusive solution with an easy roll out.
01. Communications Services Provider (CSP): collapse icon
The UK Government chose us as CSP for two of the three UK regions (South and Central).
02. m2m Connectivity: collapse icon
We will use their existing cellular network to provide the communication link between the smart meters and the data centre.
03. Communication Hubs (CH): collapse icon
We will provide CH to connect to the smart meters.
04. Communication Hubs Remote Management: collapse icon
We will support efficiently CH roll out, maintenance and troubleshooting using our device management services.
01. Comply with sustainable policies collapse icon
EU regulation obliges member countries to comply with “triple 20” targets by 2020 (i.e. 20% energy consumption reduction).
02. Promote energy market competition collapse icon
Solution enables easier switching between suppliers and tariffs.
03. Reduce energy consumption collapse icon
New information, services, tariffs and automated smart appliances to drive customer energy saving behaviour.
04. Energy supplier cost savings collapse icon
Avoiding unnecessary site visits, reducing call-centre resources, improving debt management and theft detection.